Turkey Digital Nomad Visa
Turkey, a favoured travel destination for its stunning landscapes, rich culture, and delicious food, is also appealing to digital nomads with its Digital Nomad Visa program. This visa allows remote workers to combine work and exploration across Turkey's diverse regions.
Here's a guide to the Digital Nomad Visa application process.
Understanding the Digital Nomad Visa
Digital nomad visas are becoming increasingly popular, as more and more people are choosing to embrace the digital nomad lifestyle. This lifestyle allows individuals to work from anywhere in the world, as long as they have a reliable internet connection.
- Benefits of the Digital Nomad Visa
There are many benefits to obtaining a digital nomad visa. Some of the key benefits include:
- The ability to live and work in a foreign country for a specific period of time.
- Visa-free travel to many countries.
- Access to high-quality healthcare and education.
- Affordable cost of living.
- Vibrant culture and stunning scenery.
Eligibility for the Digital Nomad Visa
The eligibility requirements for a digital nomad visa vary from country to country. However, most countries require applicants to meet the following basic requirements:
- Be a citizen of a country that is eligible for a visa-on-arrival or e-visa to the country where they are applying for the digital nomad visa.
- Have a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Have proof of health insurance.
- Have proof of income of at least a certain amount per month.
- Have a valid work contract or proof of self-employment.
Documents Required for the Turkey Digital Nomad Visa Process
The Turquoise Card
The documents required for the Turkey Digital Nomad Visa process may vary depending on your eligibility category.
However, the following documents are generally required:
- A completed Turquoise Card application form.
- A valid passport with at least 6 months of validity remaining.
- Proof of health insurance.
- Proof of income of at least $1,500 per month.
- Proof of work or self-employment.
- A passport-size photo.
- A visa fee.
In addition to the above documents, you may also need to submit supporting documentation to verify your eligibility for the Turquoise Card, depending on your category.
Here is a summary of the additional documents that you may need to submit, depending on your eligibility category:
Highly Qualified Workforce
- Proof of educational background (e.g., diploma, transcripts)
- Proof of work experience (e.g., employment contract, job offer letter)
- Proof of salary (e.g., pay slips, bank statements)
Highly Qualified Investor
- Proof of investments (e.g., bank statements, investment contracts)
- Proof of export activities (e.g., customs declarations, export contracts)
- Proof of employment generation (e.g., social security records)
- Proof of role in advancing scientific and technological developments (e.g., patents, publications)
SAMPLE OF A TURQUOISE CARD
Contributors to Scientific and Technological Development
- Proof of scientific contributions (e.g., publications, patents)
- Proof of research activities (e.g., research grant awards, letters of recommendation from academic supervisors)
- Proof of impact on Turkey (e.g., evidence of collaboration with Turkish institutions, publications in Turkish journals)
International Excellence in Cultural, Sportive, and Artistic Activities
- Proof of international achievements (e.g., awards, certificates, media coverage)
- Proof of impact on Turkey (e.g., evidence of performances or exhibitions in Turkey, publications in Turkish media)
Promoters of Turkish Culture and National Interests
- Proof of contributions to the promotion of Turkish culture or national interests (e.g., evidence of volunteer work, donations to Turkish charities, publications about Turkey)
Once you have gathered all of the required documents, you can submit your Turquoise Card application online.
The application process typically takes several weeks. If your application is approved, you will receive a Turquoise Card valid for one year. You can then enter Turkey and begin your remote work journey.
Costs Associated with Digital Nomad Status in Turkey
The Turquoise Card program does not specify a set fee for applicants. The costs associated with obtaining this digital nomad visa may vary based on individual circumstances and qualifications.
- Regular E-Visa Cost
This E-Visa grants a 90-day validity period, allowing travellers to explore and engage in various activities within Turkey during this time frame.
The process of Applying for a Digital Nomad Visa in Turkey
To apply for the Turquoise Card, applicants have multiple options. Applicants can choose to apply from their home country or country of residence.
Application Process for a Regular E-Visa in Turkey:
Obtaining a Turkish visa through the regular e-visa process involves various straightforward steps as discussed below.
- Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
Review the eligibility criteria for the Digital Nomad Visa in Turkey to ensure you qualify based on your profession or contribution.
- Step 2: Gather Required Documents
Collect all the necessary documents, which typically include proof of employment or investment, a valid passport, health insurance coverage, and proof of financial means.
- Step 3: Choose Application Location
Decide whether you will apply while in through the Ministry of Labor and Social Security's system or from your home country or country of residence through the Foreign Representative Office.
- Step 4: Submit Your Application
If applying from your home country or residence, electronically submit all pertinent information and documents to the Ministry. You can also authorise a third party to submit the application on your behalf.
- Step 5: Contact Local Turkish Consulate
For further guidance and assistance with the application process, reach out to your local Consulate.
- Step 6: Application Process for Regular E-Visa
If opting for a regular E-Visa, follow these steps:
-Fill out the Turkish E-Visa application form accurately on the official website.
-Save the confirmation page for your records.
-Pay the visa fee using accepted payment methods such as Mastercard, Visa, or UnionPay credit/debit cards.
-Await email confirmation, which will include a link to download your E-Visa. Check your email inbox and spam folder for this email.
Ideal Places for Digital Nomads to Reside in Turkey
Turkey is a prime destination for digital nomads, offering a plethora of picturesque locales where you can comfortably live and work. Here are some of the top places in Turkey that cater to the needs of digital nomads:
Istanbul, the "city that never sleeps," offers a vibrant mix of attractions, from shopping and dining to historic sites and nightlife. Expats often settle in Central Istanbul, including Beyoglu, Sisli, or Ortakoy, where Western and Eastern influences coexist, offering a unique lifestyle experience.
Istanbul offers digital nomads various cafes and coworking spaces like CoBac, Impact Hub Istanbul, and DAM, ensuring options to suit individual preferences and work needs.
Ankara, Turkey's capital, combines modernity with a rich cultural heritage and is home to prestigious universities, drawing young professionals and families. Diverse neighbourhoods cater to various preferences, with many expats favouring central areas like Kavaklidere or Sihhiye, and Ankara's low crime rate adds to its reputation as a safe city.
Ankara offers digital nomads convenient coworking spaces like CoZone, eOfis Ankara Next Level, and Ancowork, equipped with high-speed WiFi, meeting rooms, and event spaces for increased productivity.
Izmir, a charming coastal city in Turkey's Aegean region, offers sandy beaches, sunny weather, and a laid-back atmosphere, perfect for relaxation. Expatriates often prefer the city centre, especially Alsancak and Konak, known for their fusion of Western and Eastern influences.
Izmir is among Turkey's safest cities, ensuring a secure living environment. Digital nomads in Izmir can choose from a variety of cafes and coworking spaces like Originn Coworking, Withco Coworking, and Goyahub, providing versatile and productive work environments.
Antalya, located in Turkey's Mediterranean region, is renowned for its beautiful beaches, sunny climate, and a relaxing atmosphere. Expatriates often choose the city centre, especially neighbourhoods like Konyaalti or Lara, for their safety and the harmonious fusion of Western and Eastern cultures.
Antalya provides digital nomads with options to work from home, cafes, or emerging coworking spaces. After work, the city's beautiful beachfront offers a relaxing coastal experience, and its vibrant culinary scene caters to both local and international tastes, making it a food enthusiast's delight.
Bursa, located in Turkey's Marmara region, is celebrated for its lush parks, historical sites, and traditional Turkish baths, making it a perfect place for relaxation. Expatriates often opt for the city's central neighbourhoods like Cumhuriyet or Tophane, offering a convenient starting point to explore Bursa's attractions.
Bursa provides digital nomads with various workspace options, from cafes to dedicated coworking spaces like Nextlab, Workinton Bursa, and Regus. The city's culinary scene is diverse, featuring restaurants serving both local and international cuisine, making it a paradise for food enthusiasts.
What documents are required to apply for the Turquoise Card?
The specific documents required may depend on your eligibility category, but generally, you'll need proof of employment or investment, a valid passport, health insurance coverage, and proof of financial means to support yourself during your stay.
How can I apply for the Turkey Digital Nomad Visa?
You can apply for the Turquoise Card through the Ministry of Labor and Social Security in Turkey or at a Turkish Foreign Representative Office in your home country or country of residence.
Is there a fee for the Turkey Digital Nomad Visa?
The Turquoise Card does not have a specified fee. However, there may be associated costs for document processing and other administrative fees.
Can I work for a Turkish employer while on the Digital Nomad Visa?
Generally, the Digital Nomad Visa is intended for remote work, so working for a Turkish employer may require a different type of work visa.
How long does it take to get the Turquoise Card approved?
The processing time can vary, but it's advisable to apply well in advance of your intended travel date to allow for processing and any potential interviews or document verification.
Can I bring my family with me on the Digital Nomad Visa?
Family members may be eligible to join you, but this can depend on your specific circumstances and the type of visa they need.
What cities in Turkey are popular for digital nomads?
Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, and Bursa are among the popular cities in Turkey for digital nomads due to their amenities, safety, and cultural offerings.